#1 2022-10-18 12:44:57

JlA3APb

Cyrillic symbols in BIRT report

Hi!

I have an issue with displaying Cyrillic symbols in Preview and PDF mode.

I've already tried answers from this topic https://forum.reportserver.net/viewtopic.php?id=156 but nothing helps

I installed two ReportServer instances in Docker - version 3.7.1 and version 4.3 for testing BIRT reports on different Virtual Machines

Also I've tried to install addition fonts to the Docker container and update font cache but it doesn't works.

BIRT report created in BIRT version 4.8 and works fine on BIRT's side.

Now I'm stuck and don't know what to do to resolve this problem.

I'll be grateful for any kind of help!

#2 2022-10-20 09:04:57

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Re: Cyrillic symbols in BIRT report

Hi JlA3APb,

can you pls create a *minimal* Birt report that reproduces this issue ? The easiest would be just to add a static text that shows correctly in BIRT, but not correctly in ReportServer, so without using any database, just a static text showing the problem. Then we can take a look at the problem.

Regards,
Eduardo

#3 2022-10-21 14:58:03

JlA3APb

Thank you for quick response, Eduardo!

I followed you advice and discover that simple BIRT report from .csv displays correct Cyrillic symbols when i use correct font to create report.
All i need to do now is to fix fonts in my main BIRT report to resolve a problem.

Kind regards,
JlA3APb

#4 2022-10-26 14:04:56

osm

Hi eduardo,

Here is an example of a report with Cyrillic characters.
Just save the content below to a file 'test.rptdesign'.
The line after English Text and before 1234567890 will not be displayed in the report.

I found out that when generating a report in Excel, Word and HTML - the report is displayed correctly. This problem is only with the PDF format.
I'm inclined to believe that this problem is related to fonts. There may be a problem with birt-runtime-4.9.0-20220315.jar (fontsConfig.xml)
I also want to add that this report works well in PDF and displays all rows in RS3.0.3-6000.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<report xmlns="http://www.eclipse.org/birt/2005/design" version="3.2.23" id="1">
    <property name="createdBy">Eclipse BIRT Designer Version 4.6.0.v201606072122</property>
    <property name="units">in</property>
    <property name="iconFile">/templates/blank_report.gif</property>
    <property name="layoutPreference">auto layout</property>
    <property name="bidiLayoutOrientation">ltr</property>
    <property name="imageDPI">96</property>
    <page-setup>
        <simple-master-page name="Simple MasterPage" id="2">
            <property name="type">custom</property>
            <property name="orientation">landscape</property>
            <property name="height">12in</property>
            <property name="width">40cm</property>
            <page-footer>
                <text id="3">
                    <property name="contentType">html</property>
                    <text-property name="content"><![CDATA[<value-of>new Date()</value-of>]]></text-property>
                </text>
            </page-footer>
        </simple-master-page>
    </page-setup>
    <body>
        <text id="6460">
            <property name="contentType">auto</property>
            <text-property name="content"><![CDATA[English Text
Русский Текст
!@#$%^&amp;*()]]></text-property>
        </text>
    </body>
</report>

Last edited by osm (2022-10-26 14:07:33)

#5 2022-10-26 14:30:15

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi osm,

interesting, thank you for the information and the test report, we will take a look.

osm wrote:

I'm inclined to believe that this problem is related to fonts. There may be a problem with birt-runtime-4.9.0-20220315.jar (fontsConfig.xml)

can you pls elaborate on this (fontsConfig.xml), maybe this gives us a hint what the problem may be.

Regards,
Eduardo

#6 2022-11-08 14:06:19

osm

eduardo wrote:

can you pls elaborate on this (fontsConfig.xml), maybe this gives us a hint what the problem may be.

Hi eduardo!

I am still trying to resolve this issue. What I found out:
1. I added new fonts directory to 'fontsConfig.xml', because I assume that the 'tomcat' user does not have 'root' rights to read files from the default paths (maybe I made some mistakes during installation, but IMHO giving the 'tomcat' user 'root' rights is not a good idea, write if I'm wrong)
2. I managed to display the Cyrillic font in the report by setting it in the report (Times New Roman)
3. I failed to add Times New Roman font to 'fontsConfig.xml' as a default font. Tried font-family 'Times New Roman', 'Times-New-Roman'. Tried encodings 'UTF8', 'UTF-8', 'Cp1252' - the text is no longer displayed

As a result, I have questions:
1. What is the default encoding if it is not specified in fontsConfig.xml?
2. Is there a way to track this through the logs?
3. Is there any way to add a css file (or some other config file) with a default font configuration for certain tags in the report? (set font-family for <report> tag)

I will be glad to any feedback

Board footer