#1 2017-03-30 08:16:32

skosmas

How to implement translation of reportserver and parameter names?

We want to embed the the reportserver execution view inside our web application.
Our web application uses 20-25 languages. The logged user in our system should also see the reportserver texts in the language used in our web app.
How can I translate the reportserver default texts like "Parameters" and "Preview" to those 20-25 languages and how can I inform reportserver which language to use?
Also I want to translate to those languages the report parameters name that are shown in the Parameters "Tab"?

Lastly, how do you recommend to handle the translations in BIRT reports?
Should I use parameters in the Header titles and pass the appropriate texts from the reportserver during the rendering of the reports (Is it possible to have in reportserver a translations mapping file that assigns the correct text for each language for each parameter key)?

Or do I have to pass just the language used as a parameter and handle internally in BIRT the parameter and show the correct texts?

#2 2017-03-30 08:42:14

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Re: How to implement translation of reportserver and parameter names?

Hi skosmas,

skosmas wrote:

Our web application uses 20-25 languages. The logged user in our system should also see the reportserver texts in the language used in our web app.
How can I translate the reportserver default texts like "Parameters" and "Preview" to those 20-25 languages and how can I inform reportserver which language to use?

You can use the locale in the url to inform reportserver which language to use, e.g.:
http://localhost:8080/rs/?locale=el

For the other questions, I will let you know when I have more information.

Cheers,
Eduardo

#3 2017-03-30 09:27:24

jalbrecht
Administrator

Hi Skosmas,

basic considaration:
if you want to localize your BIRT Report than you have to do it in the Report. Obviously there is many ways to do it but they all have in common that locale needs to be interpreted. Assume that a parameter p_locale is passed to the report. than every label has to be interpreted with locale, for example:

p_locale = fr?jour:p_locale = es?dia:p_locale = de?tag:day

There is many ways to generate this behaviour and many ways to pass the parameter (-> user_variable ...). What is best depends in your specific requirement.

alternatively:
you might just want to create many reports ( = differently localized instances of the same report). That you might have to do anyway if you are going pixel sharp with a complex subject and the length of the differently localized labels vary to much (and blow your format).

or:
try to create a highly generic report that selects the labels out of some metadata table with parameter p_locale. That, if possible, might have some advantage in maintenance.

cheers

jan

#4 2017-03-30 09:36:35

eduardo
Administrator
Website

jalbrecht wrote:

or:
try to create a highly generic report that selects the labels out of some metadata table with parameter p_locale. That, if possible, might have some advantage in maintenance.

An example could be to have different columns per localization, e.g. title_en, title_de, title_fr, so you would just append the locale string to the column name.

#5 2017-04-10 12:27:16

skosmas

By metadata table do you mean that I should create a CSV list in the reportserver and use this data in the execution view window?
I didn't quite understand if you mean the labels inside the BIRT report or in the reportserver. For the localization in the BIRT reports I have found a solution but I still can't find a solution for the labels of the parameters in the reportserver.
Please check the following screenshot: https://ibb.co/b504kk .

Is there a way that I could use a CSV list as metadata and get the correct text values from there?

#6 2017-04-11 08:11:10

skosmas

Is it possbile to store in the filesystem of the reportserver the json files with the translations for each label shown in the image above and make a reference to those files in order to get the correct text?

#7 2017-04-11 08:47:27

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi skosmas,

currently, it is not possible to localize the parameter names in reportserver. I raised ticket 2599 for a future reportserver version.

As a workaround, you could use script parameters. These are localizable.

Best regards,
Eduardo

#8 2017-04-11 09:21:15

skosmas

So under "Name" how do I reference the value of a script parameter? Screenshot: https://ibb.co/jFXv85

#9 2017-04-11 10:11:38

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi skosmas,

you can access it with param.name, but you are right, you cannot change it. So parameter names are not currently localizable. As I said, I raised a ticket for a future reportserver version.

Regards,
Eduardo

#10 2020-09-14 19:34:47

sblanche

Hi Eduardo,

Was this feature from ticket 2599 completed in a current version of ReportServer? So that Report Names and Parameter Names can be localized?
I have our BIRT Reports setup to be localized but am looking to get the Report names and parameter names localized in ReportServer as well.

Thanks,
Scott

#11 2020-09-28 08:59:23

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi sblanche,

RS-2599 is currently in the development queue, I will update here when I have more information.

Regards,
Eduardo

#12 2020-09-29 12:44:56

sblanche

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for the update, I will look forward to another update when more information is available.

Thanks,
Scott

Board footer