#1 2017-08-23 17:38:57

DrigJ

Multiselect Text Parameter

I'm new to Report Server and have been unable to find a response to the issue I've been having in the forums or in the documentation.  The issue that I've come across is that I'm trying to add a multi-select text parameter to my report.  It seems that multi-selects are restricted to datasource parameters, but the idea behind this parameter is that users can type in multiple values, say id numbers, in a list and it is added as a filter to the query to include any of the written values.  The values would be too burdensome to create a list to populate a drop-down for, and is why it needs to be a regular text parameter.  When I try to use a text parameter with an IN statement in the query (ex: $X{IN, Type, ItemType}) the system tells me that I can't use that parameter with a multi-select.

Is there something special I need to do to allow for this type of parameter in a query, or can I only use it with a populated list parameter in Report Server?

Thanks

#2 2017-08-23 18:06:01

jalbrecht
Administrator

Re: Multiselect Text Parameter

Hi DrigJ,

if you are are talking about a report based on a dynamic list then the filter does what you need. Check:

https://reportserver.net/en/guides/user … mic-Lists/

See chapter 6.4. If you are using Jasper or birt, you have to handle that problem yourself via some sql miracle. Can you create a table that contains all possible values for the parameter and have your users use the multi-selects datasource parameter ?

wbr jan

#3 2017-08-23 18:25:31

DrigJ

Actually, it isn't based on a dynamic list.  The users will be manually typing in multiple values instead of picking them from a list that would contain more than a million records.

I'm coming from Report Manager, where setting up a multi-select text box just involves setting a type of multi-select and text and it does the rest for me.  It doesn't look like the Test Parameter itself is built to handle a field where the users can type in multiple values, even if they manually comma separate them and the system can use that in an IN statement.

For example, I had been using a query that had a where clause of WHERE Type IN ('98660', '1950-46787').  In Report Manager the parameter field just drops down an empty text box where the user can type in multiple values on multiple rows, and it converts them to a comma separated list which I can then use in the original where clause.  Here, it seems like I can't use that same where clause with user supplied values.

Last edited by DrigJ (2017-08-23 18:26:14)

#4 2020-01-14 10:11:36

Asivhanga

I need to configure a multiselect datasource param for my Dynamic report where the user will have priviledge to choose two or more options and generate a report.

please assist.

#5 2020-01-21 09:32:37

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi Asivhanga,

you can find information on datasource parameters here: https://reportserver.net/en/guides/admi … atasource/
Please check the multiselect option as described here: https://reportserver.net/en/guides/user … f-Reports/ (Selection Lists)

Regards,
Eduardo

Board footer