#1 2017-09-02 14:37:38

johnied

BIRT report greek as question marks

Hello,

I just configured ReportServer on an Ubuntu 16.04 VM.
I downloaded BIRT RCP Report Designer and have my First report.
I tried importing it from ReportServer and greek characters come up as ??????/

The font I used is Arial, which is a pretty common font.

Has anyone encountered a situation like that? Is it that ReportServer does not accept UTF-8 characters?

Thank you for your time.
Johnied

#2 2017-09-02 16:48:33

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Re: BIRT report greek as question marks

Hi johnied,

reportserver of course supports utf8.

What database are you using for your BIRT report? What exactly appears as ?? ? The static titles of your report or/and the data coming from the database? Which reportserver version are you using?
Check that your db is configured to use utf. If you use mysql, please check here:  https://forum.reportserver.net/viewtopic.php?id=156
<property name="hibernate.connection.url" value="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/reportserver?useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncoding=utf8"/>

Best regards,
Eduardo

#3 2017-09-02 17:29:18

johnied

The static titles of my report that are in greek appear as question marks. Both data columns (SQL select results) that are in greek and the static titles that are in english appear perfectly. The data are being read from an external SQL SERVER 2012 db.
I am using the RS3.0.2-5855 edition with mysql as db for the ReportServer.
I enabled the useUnicode=true & characterEncoding=utf8 in the /opt/reportserver/persistence.properties file and now it is:
hibernate.connection.url=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/reportserver?autoReconnect=true&useSSL=false&useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf8

The server restarts normally. The logfile I am watching out for errors if /var/log/tomcat7/catalina.out. These are the errors registered:
InternalDbStartup - Error in Internal DB Startup
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
        at net.datenwerke.rs.core.service.internaldb.TempTableServiceImpl.getConnectionConfig(TempTableServiceImpl.java:90) ~[reportserver.jar:na]
        at net.datenwerke.rs.core.service.internaldb.TempTableServiceImpl.dropRSTMPtables(TempTableServiceImpl.java:70) ~[reportserver.jar:na]
        at net.datenwerke.rs.core.service.internaldb.InternalDbStartup$1.initialize(InternalDbStartup.java:45) ~[reportserver.jar:na]

None seems to be connected to the utf8 problem.

So it appears that the problem lies with the importing of the Birt report and not the Report Server itself. And only the utf-8 headers, not the data itself.

Thank you for your immediate response

#4 2017-09-02 17:47:40

johnied

OK. Voila.
Adding the &useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf8 to the database URL is not enough. You have to re-import the .rptdesign file(BIRT REPORT FILE) from the Report Server in order to work properly.
Everything is solved.

Thank you for your time and your advice. Report Server Rocks!!!

#5 2017-09-02 18:36:32

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi johnied,

I am glad I was able to help and thank you for posting the solution of the problem. You may also want to add the &useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf8 to the datasource properties (administration -> datasources). There you can change the JDBC URLs for your datasources.

You may also want to try the 3.0.3-beta release. It fixes many bugs and we are in the beta process currently. See more details here: https://forum.reportserver.net/viewtopic.php?id=893.

Best regards and happy reporting,
Eduardo

Board footer