#1 2016-11-19 12:16:00

mahdsip

Asign existingg dashboard to new user or group

Hi,

i am configuring Report Server Community for 3 groups of users. As administrator i have created also 3 dashboards, that i want to be showed as default, just one for each of the groups. I created them on the dadget library under the Dashboard Root, i assigned to each of them the corresponding ACE to their group but when i try to login with the users that belongs to each of the groups, the dashboard tab only shows the "Deafault" empty one ready to be created from scrach

Is there a way of assigning to each group a "default" Dashboard already created as i am trying to do?

Is there something i am missing?

Thanks

#2 2016-11-23 14:28:20

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Re: Asign existingg dashboard to new user or group

Hi mahdsip,

the users see only the "default" empty dashboard because they first have to import the existing dashboards. Click on tools -> import dashboard, then select the previously created dashboard. The groups must have access to the dashboards, as you pointed, i.e. have the corresponding ACEs.

For deleting the "default"-dashboard, the users have to select the default-dashbourd, then click on tools -> remove dashboard

You can find more details here: https://reportserver.net/en/guides/admi … d-Dadgets/

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
Eduardo

#3 2016-11-23 15:10:47

mahdsip

Thanks Edulid for your response.

So every user should perform this import, right? There is no way of assigning by default a Dashboard depending on their User Group. Is that correct?

Regards

#4 2016-11-23 15:21:05

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Yes, dashboards must be imported by the individual users.

#5 2016-11-23 16:02:06

jar

I would also like to set a default dashboard (or multiple dashboards) based on everybody, group or person).
Person is less important for me as they can do that themselves but new user should see the default setup.

Mayby something for the new release? A user-variable (can also be on everybody and group level) to set the default dashboard ID or something?

Jeroen

Last edited by jar (2016-11-23 16:04:58)

#6 2016-11-24 09:36:06

karolina

Hi Jeroen,

How many users per day do you add to your ReportServer instances?
If it is 1-10, I would use SU command, log in as the added user and import the default dashboard from the dashboard library for her/him.

If the number is in tens or hundreds, I'd do it by scripting (I have never tried it, but technically it should be possible).
Then you just have to be aware that if a user has no permission to see a report added to a dashboard by scritpting, she/he will see error message or error stack trace (which is not nice ;-))

Karolina

#7 2016-11-28 18:29:07

jar

Hello Karolina,

Thanks for your response.
At the moment we are still using Actuate iHub 3.1 for our production environment. But we are looking for alternative solutions and the advantage of ReportServer is that we can keep most of our BIRT reports without having to redesign them in another tool (only convert from BIRT Pro to BIRT OS).

The number of new users a day is not that much (at the moment about 1800 users total) but it is growing slowly. We use a dashboard like a central landingspage that is shown to all new users. To make sure I do understand correctly, all new users get a blank dashboard and have to manually add available dashboards (based on authorization) to their dashboard page? In my opinion that is not very user-friendly. But mayby I misunderstand how the dashboard is suppose to work.

Jeroen

#8 2016-12-07 13:30:05

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hello,

we are planning to change this behavior for the next reportserver release in an analogous form as the user property "teamspace:primaryTeamSpace"
So we will have: "dashboard:primaryDashboard"

With this user property, the administrator will be able to set the default dashboard for each user, either manually by setting the user property or with a script.

Best regards,
Eduardo

#9 2017-01-06 14:56:11

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hello,

please take a look at https://forum.reportserver.net/viewtopic.php?id=563 (#15) for this functionality of importing a dashboard for a number of users and updating it.
With the actual version and the next release, have in mind that all users are getting copies of the "mother"-dashboard. Because, as stated in the documentation, a dashboard is per-user only.
With future versions we are planning to introduce shared dashboards. Until then, the solution in the thread should achieve this functionality.

Cheers,
Eduardo

#10 2017-05-31 15:41:07

bpeikes

We notice that there hasn't been a new release since last June. When do you think shared dashboards will be out? We need this functionality to consider this product for production use.

#11 2017-06-01 06:47:46

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi bpeikes,

with 3.0.3, which we aim to release in June, the new functionality "dashboard:primaryDashboard" I mentioned in #8 will be out.
With this user property, the administrator will be able to set the default dashboard for each user, either manually by setting the user property or with a script.

Shared dashboards will not be in 3.0.3, we are looking at 3.1 for this. The date for the 3.1 release is not yet planned.

Regards,
Eduardo

#12 2017-06-07 14:23:18

bpeikes

Eduardo,
   Thanks for the response. Until there are shared dashboards, we can't deploy this across our organization. Our users are just not tech savvy enough to walk them through adding all of their own dashboards. Additionally, we update our dashboards all the time, so we can't have them constantly re-importing. Looking forward to 3.1

#13 2017-06-08 09:18:04

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi bpeikes,

why don't you use teamspaces for this purpose ? teamspaces are shared for a group of persons...

Regards,
Eduardo

#14 2017-06-08 17:07:13

bpeikes

Eduardo,
   How would TeamSpaces help? TeamSpaces appear to be a place to put executed reports, not dashboards.

Ben

#15 2021-01-05 19:31:26

bpeikes

@eduardo - Report Server is now at version 3.3, is there support for shared dashboards yet?

#16 2021-01-08 09:42:52

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi beikes,

we have ticket RS-2731 for this. This ticket is currently in the development queue, as we had to postpone its development, it was not possible to include this into 3.1.

Please note that you can achieve this functionality by scripting as mentioned above.

Regards,
Eduardo

#17 2021-01-08 22:04:31

bpeikes

Eduardo,
   No disrespect, but this issue is multiple years old. No support for shared dashboards is very likely going to have us move to another platform soon. We can't keep building functionality on top of this platform if it's not scalable. Having to update everyone's dashboard when we make changes is going to force us to look at other solutions.

Ben

#18 2021-01-11 09:25:51

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi Ben,

to avoid misunderstandings, I want to note that this is a feature request. Shared dashboards are not currently supported and the feature request is to actually support them.
We cannot make guarantees on time frames of feature request implementation. We do have a ticket on this which is in the development queue as I mentioned above.
For extension of functionality not directly supported by ReportServer, there is scripting. As mentioned above, a script could refresh the dashboards of your users after dashboard modification. So there is a workaround.

Regards,
Eduardo

Board footer