#1 2013-08-28 02:49:07

jsohl

TeamSpace permissions

Is it possible to use groups to grant access to individual TeamSpaces? For example, we want everyone in the TechServices group have access to the TechServices TeamSpace. So far I have only been able to find an option to add individual members to TeamSpaces. We sync users and groups from Active directory and this would allow us to manage access to TeamSpaces with Active Directory groups.
Thanks in advance,
Jacob

#2 2013-08-28 15:02:42

Arno Mittelbach
datenwerke

Re: TeamSpace permissions

Hi Jacob,

currently this would only be possible via a ReportServer script. Our idea with TeamSpaces was that they can be managed directly by users. As users usually do not have access to the administration part of RS and thus in particular would not know the members of a group we went for the simplest solution: teamspace members are users. I have, however, put the idea on the list for possible features for the next version.

As I mentioned, one workaround in the current version is to use a ReportServer script. You can easily keep track of changes to individual objects (in this case a group or OU) and on any change synchronize
the members of a TeamSpace programmatically.

Cheers
Arno

#3 2013-10-02 01:07:57

jsohl

Hello Arno,
I've been asked to follow up on this and get information about scripting. Since we don't know the API or workings of ReportServer, would it be possible for you to provide us a script that can be used for adding AD groups to TeamSpaces? Or at least a example of how it would look.
Our intention is to have a small group of administrators that will manage access to ReportServer/TeamSpaces. Each department in the company will have a TeamSpace. Since we already have AD groups for each department, we would just map those groups to the corresponding TeamSpaces.
Any help you can provide in this matter would be great.
Thanks,
Jacob

#4 2013-10-02 19:43:48

Thorsten J. Krause
datenwerke
Website

Hi Jacob,

documentation for the scripting mechanisms is something we are currently working on. We hope to complete the respective documentation in early november.

The script you need is not that difficult or complex, but it's clearly out of the scope of the forum. So I see three basic ways to pursue this:

- If you are not in a hurry I can just add your request to our queue of future blog posts. But the blog has a rather low priority, so I cannot promise any specific date for the article to be written, or even if it will happen at all.

- Sign up with our ReportServer Support Subscription (starting from EUR 1999/yr)
We are currently in the process of reworking these offerings, so they are not available online. On the outset it provides access to all existing documentation
(including future documentation), access to our ticket system, upgrade instructions for new versions and an hour support per month. If you are interested in
additional details, I'll gladly send them by email.

- If you are still evaluating ReportServer or don't want to sign up for a support subscription for other reasons I could send you a quote specifically for the development of this script. If you then decide to sign up for support shortly after, we would then offer an appropriate discount.

Cheers,
Thorsten

Board footer