#1 2016-06-09 23:21:50

JonSnow

File Import/Upload

Please forgive me as I am (VERY) new to Linux/servers, but I have installed ReportServer and am trying to import my own personal files (xls, csv, pdf, html, etc.) for use in the database, but every time I go to Administration > Import > Start Import > Browse and select a file I get a "The upload was unsuccessful" error.

Again, very brand new to these things. I've read both User, Configuration, and Admin documents, but cannot seem to find a solution. Please Help and Thank You very much in advance

#2 2016-06-10 06:23:11

Thomas Davies
datenwerke

Re: File Import/Upload

Hello Jon,

the import functionality is meant for importing ReportServer export files, not for importing additional resources. You can upload resource files to the file server (administration > file server). Could you elaborate a bit on what you are trying to achieve? That is, why do you want to import these files into ReportServer?

Best Regards,
Thomas

#3 2016-06-10 17:02:58

JonSnow

Thank You very much, Thomas, for the reply. That makes sense. I guess I'm slightly confused of the function of Report Server as a whole.

I have Company (Orders, Payments, etc), Employee (Name, Address, ID #s, etc), and Product (Product Name, Shipping to: ) information on my desktop that I'd like to upload, store, & organize all in one database.

Thanks again, Thomas.

#4 2016-06-10 17:53:18

Thomas Davies
datenwerke

Hi Jon,

as a first step you would need to consolidate your data to then in a second step be able to create reports on top of the consolidated tier. ReportServer provides you with the functionality for the second step. If you are comfortable with scripting in Groovy, then ReportServer would also be able to facilitate parts of the first step, but this might not be the best option. What you could look for are ETL (extract-load-transform) products that focus entirely on the data consolidation step. A popular open source choices is, for example, Kettle http://community.pentaho.com/projects/data-integration/. For an overview, have a look at

http://www.butleranalytics.com/30-etl-tools/

Once the data is in place, ReportServer would be the ideal tool to start reporting on it.

Best Regards,
Thomas

Board footer