#1 2017-04-04 20:38:39

pericajakimov

Report execution hangs for big result sets

Hi,

I'm using this software for some time, and I'm using only JXLS reports for now as they are great for my job.
The software is working perfect for 'regular' reports - and by regular I mean XLSX result files with a few thousand rows and SQL queries that are executed on the database in few seconds.
But, I have a few 'big' reports, that if run in SQL Management Studio (SSMS) are generating datasets with more than 100.000 rows and about 30 columns resulting in Excel files as big as 30-50MB.
The SQL queries for these reports are executed on my database in 5-15mins if I run them in SQL Management studio.
If I run the same queries in JXLS template on ReportServer, the report is executed like forever, the web browser is waiting for response ... If I look at the server resources there is nothing happening, the server is running smooth.

The hardware resources are not an issue, and I'm the only user using the system, I don't have other users on the ReportServer software.

My question is, is there something like timeout parameter that is running out and could something like that be my problem?

I can have patience, my report can be executed in more time that expected (5-15 mins) but I need it to be executed for sure.

Thanks,
Perica

#2 2017-04-05 09:38:22

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Re: Report execution hangs for big result sets

Hello Perica,

can you check in your tomcat logs if there is some exception or something when this is happening ?

Regards,
Eduardo

#3 2017-04-21 08:16:18

jalbrecht
Administrator

Re: Report execution hangs for big result sets

Hi Perica,

how much RAM does tomcat have when starting. most crucial for timely execution of xls and, even more, xlsx templates is memory. increase tomcat memory as much as you can. think of ressource consumption to build specifically xlsx in sizes (i.e. multiply the size of the resulting xlsx by 10 for minimum memory requirement). How much memory does your tomcat have on startup ?

Hope that helps

jan

Board footer