#1 2017-02-02 07:47:09

jar

Search and re-use of parameter

Hello,

We have several BIRT reports which have 2 or 3 parameters that are the same for each report. Now we have to define them for each report which is oké but it would be nice when you could define them once and use them multiple times. Kind of like the "Dadget Library" but then for parameters. This would make changes to the parameters also much easier to manage.

Currently I can search in a (datasource) parameter. With for example : "Product blue" it is found when I search for "Product" but not when I search for "blue" of "%blue%" or "*blue*". Is there a way to search for parts of the parameter label? If not, this would be a nice to have feature :-).

Kind regards,
Jeroen

#2 2017-02-07 16:53:20

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Re: Search and re-use of parameter

Hi Jeroen,

are you sure the datasource parameter is not finding "Product blue" when you search for "blue" (without quotes) ? I have tested this and is working for me. What version are you testing in ? What database are you using in your datasource parameter? Do you see (maybe with a profiler) what query is actually arriving at your database when you enter "blue" in the search field? 

Cheers,
Eduardo

#3 2017-02-07 18:56:05

jar

Hello Eduardo,

Thanks for your response.
The "Product blue" was an example. The parameter where we have the 'problem' with is a parameter for hospitals. The query to fill the parameter is a select on two fields (integer and text fields) where the integer is actually used in the filter and the textfield (name of hospital) as labelfield . We are using PostgreSQL 9.5.

The labelfield is what is visible in the parameter (single selection). Searching for a string in that labelfield works if the labelfield starts with that searchstring. No result when searching for a part of the labelfield value.

I will check the SQL send to DB tomorrow.
We are working with RS3.0.2-5855 (2016-05-29-17-55-24) (that is the Bitnami ReportServer Enterprise Edition (evaluation).

Jeroen

#4 2017-02-08 08:26:20

eduardo
Administrator
Website

jar wrote:

Searching for a string in that labelfield works if the labelfield starts with that searchstring. No result when searching for a part of the labelfield value.
Jeroen

Hi Jeroen,

of course, "Product blue" is an example smile I tested with similar values and I am not reproducing this behavior. The labelfield is being actually filtered on the client, so if you have a large number of values, it takes some time, since all items are being iterated. The filtering actually is: for all items on the list { if (  title.toLowerCase().contains(filter.toLowerCase()) ) }  ...  So if your title contains "blue" then it should be found. Are you sure the value is being displayed in the list you want to filter ?

Cheers,
Eduardo

#5 2017-02-09 08:38:41

jar

Hello Eduardo,

I tried to reproduce this on the demo database and succeeded to do that (or failed to get it working like you have :-) ).
I made a dynamic report with a variant and exported this to a zip. See https://app.box.com/s/5ab949kpjntdfrdvrk4kd0z886gtw1a7 voor the download of that file. I hope that is enough for you to reproduce the issue.

it is simply a :
SELECT * FROM T_AGG_ORDER
where pro_productline = ${pro_productline}
limit 1000

And a datasource query (SELECT distinct pro_productline FROM T_AGG_ORDER ) for the parameter. The report is showing alright but searching in the parameter with the value "cars" (without quotes) is not turning up any hits. I would expect the values Classic Cars and Vintage Cars.

Jeroen

#6 2017-02-10 09:05:51

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi Jeroen,

I just created a report exactly as you described, and, when I search for "cars" (without quotes) I find "Classic Cars" and "Vintage Cars".
What database are you using for your demo data?

I tested this with H2 and MySQL in Mac and in Windows, and I always see the correct results.
Could you test with a complete new installation, leaving all settings default ?

Greets,
Eduardo

#7 2017-02-10 09:26:49

jar

Hello Eduardo,

Thanks for looking into it. It is the Bitnami Enterprise evaluation installer. Out of the box... it uses MariaDB.
The only strange thing is that when I look at the Bitnami Reportserver Enterprise manager under "Manage Server" the MariaDB service has the status stopped. While my RS instance is working like it should. Mmmm... I can try a reinstallation.
Only made same chances to the theme.cf but that is about it (and added my own datasource ect.)

I can try with a new installation but that will take some time. Will try this weekend.

Jeroen

Last edited by jar (2017-02-10 09:29:26)

#8 2017-02-10 09:35:11

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi jar,

you can see in the datasources, under "internal datasource", which datasource is being used for your installation. If it uses a datasource on your MariaDB, which is actually stopped, but reportserver is still working, that would be even stranger smile

Cheers,
Eduardo

#9 2017-02-10 20:35:13

jar

Hello Eduardo,

I did a clean install of RS Community.
Did a import of the example file I add a few messages above this one and fired the report. The report works but the search in the parameter is not. The Bitnami manage app shows MariaDB now as a green bullet so no problems there.
The demo database is H2 with the URL rs:demodata. The internal database (ReportServer Data Source) is using mysql in de JDBC url and the database dropdown. Which is strange as the manager app from Bitnami indicates it is using mariaDB?

I saw that I had 3.2.0.4 installaed in the evaluation version and now the 3.2.0.6 off community but now difference for me. Still no correct search. I am on a Mac by the way ... version 10.11.6

Regards,
Jeroen

Last edited by jar (2017-02-11 08:30:34)

#10 2017-02-14 11:38:41

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi Jeroen,

ok, now I am seeing the behavior you describe. The difference was that you were defining a "single selection", "dropdown" parameter, while the standard parameter definition is "multiselect". We will take a look at this issue.

Cheers,
Eduardo

#11 2017-02-15 08:59:22

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi Jeroen,

this issue has been corrected and will be fixed in the next reportserver version.

Cheers,
Eduardo

#12 2017-02-15 14:07:07

jar

Nice ... thanks for fixing it.

Jeroen

Board footer