#1 2016-09-16 13:26:12

marksmithy69

Problem Generating a PDF

Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum, and brand new to BIRT and Report Server, so here goes. I have inherited a project that contains many BIRT reports that are run via Report Server. If you execute Report A, a stored procedure is called to write to the audit log table all credentials of the person who ran the report. This is a requirement...they want to log everyone who runs this report. We have another report, Report B, which is a report of the audit log table. The problem is, whenever the person runs Report A, the stored procedure is called and the audit log is written to. If the person then clicks the PDF-Export or tries to Send to Word etc, the stored procedure is called again and the audit log is written to again. I assume when the PDF-Export button is clicked, the report is called again. In a nutshell, if someone tries to export Report A to PDF, a duplicate entry is logged in the Audit table, resulting in duplicate results on Report B. Is there a way around this? Sorry if I am not explaining myself clearly, but I literally saw BIRT and Report Server for the first time yesterday. Thanks.

#2 2016-09-16 17:43:57

Thomas Davies
datenwerke

Re: Problem Generating a PDF

Hi Mark,

welcome to the ReportServer forum.

You are correct in assuming that the report gets executed anew for each of the operations you listed and I don't see how we could change this.

Depending on the version of ReportServer you are using you might have access to a parameter _RS_REX_TOKEN which is a unique id that binds together all operations that are part of the same report execution (it is generated when a user "opens" a report). You could pass this to your stored procedure so it does not create duplicate entries.

Would that help?

Cheers,
Thomas

Board footer