#1 2016-07-19 14:03:25

mahesh

Occupy high RES memory after report export : GC Java heap ?

Hi

I observed ReportServer occupies high Resident memory [RES] after concurrent report schedules. I had to kill the tomcat process after 24hr as i did see the same RES. i used "top" to monitor

Hardware : RedHat installed box: physical mem :256g  [~200 usable]
Software  : Java8/ tomcat8 /RS (3.0.2) / heap [new and initial] : 100g / unlimited metaspace

Scenario
- 4 concurrent schedules : Retrieve same data set  and export them to exls
# column : 70 [String/numeric]
Report size : ~300 mb
Resultset size: 1.0 million records

Observed Results
All of the schedule executed successfully and end after 10 min.

RES
before : 1.4g
after : 45g

Is it because internal file-system hold the dataset/files ?
Is there a way to access the file and SFTP to a preferred server in a schedule ? AS we can not use Email option since report sizes may varies
Since server does not create a physical files As i observed  , Files are generated on demand, when use "Save as option" in Teamsapce on a particular report resource ?
Is there a way to tune memory after concurrent executions in future releases ?

thanks

Last edited by mahesh (2016-07-19 14:59:23)

#2 2016-07-19 15:17:56

Thomas Davies
datenwerke

Re: Occupy high RES memory after report export : GC Java heap ?

Hi,

you can create custom schedule targets via ReportServer's SendTo functionality. For more information, have a look at https://reportserver.net/en/guides/scri … s/Send-To/. As for SFTP, have a look at this thread here https://forum.reportserver.net/viewtopi … 2386#p2386.

Regarding the memory issue. XLSX is simply a zip archive of a bunch of XML files. If the result is 300mb then the uncompressed size which is kept in memory during the evaluation is orders of magnitude bigger. As for the memory not changing 24 hours, this is expected behavior. Memory that is once claimed by Java will not be released to the system. This does not mean, that java does not reuse the memory for its own operations, but the memory will not be reclaimed. Thus, the observed memory usage of a java application from the systems perspective is always only growing.

Best Regards,
Thomas

#3 2016-07-21 01:15:06

mahesh

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Lets skip narrow down option using column filters for  high volume data set for following scenario .
i observed that RS try to restart the schedule in following scenario throwing exceptions.
Resultset size exceed the maximum number can hold in XLSX file. [LIMIT set 1.6 million records]

what is the standard convention that any report tool should follow when it encounters such scenario ?
1. stop schedule with a warning , Ask user to narrow down.
2. multiple report generation
...... etc

is there a way to configure resultset size in a pariticular report without set using LIMIT/ROWNUM...etc ?
Can we use rcondition in  such scenario ?

Also, if there is no records satisfy the report criteria, then is there a way to set a message in the schedule output without executing schedule ?

Last edited by mahesh (2016-07-21 03:15:18)

#4 2016-07-24 11:16:22

mahesh

Actually i did manage set rcondition

Last edited by mahesh (2016-07-24 13:12:08)

Board footer