#1 2017-03-21 05:35:54

petrvavra

Reports with shared parameters

Hello,

I am trying to make report, where I am going to have more than one list and I want to configure parameters for them all and then just switch between those lists.

For that is good dashboard with the parameter dadget and report dadgets. But when I want 7 report dadgets to be here, then this is a pretty small place. And when I open the dashboard all dadgets begin to load, but execution of each report takes more than 30 s, so that’s terribly slow to load whole dashboard. Is there any other variant, how to show these things, e. g. something like sheets in MS Excel?

All reports are over one table, all are variants of one report instance. So is there any other way to store parameter values for them all. For examle in adminstration don’t save parameter value for each report variant, but only for whole report?

Or is there any other way, how to do this?

Regards,
Petr

#2 2017-03-23 09:54:46

jalbrecht
Administrator

Re: Reports with shared parameters

Hi Petr,

the dashboars is only as big as the screen and a regular screen is usually to small to display seven reports. Thus said, i need a little more information on your problem:

- what type of report do you want to display in the dashboard:
  i. pixel sharp reports (jasper, birt or SAP Chrystal Reports)
  ii. olap
  iii. dynamic list with or without template?

- Why are the reports running 30 s each if they all stem from the same table's data ? Maybe you have to consider the ressource situation of your database.
- Do these reports have to reflect the "as is" state of the table and if so how often is the table refreshed? Maybe you can generate these reports in advance...

There is no way so far to store parameters for the a (sub)set of variants.

Looking forward to hearing from you

jan

#3 2017-03-24 06:48:41

petrvavra

Thanks for your answer. I am running dynamic list without template. Report is running over one very big table, that's why filtering on database side takes usualy that long, really depends on selected parameters. Situation on the database side is imutable for me, because it's in hand of our partner. Table works in real time and users need to see ad-hoc reports with differenet parameters, so there is no option to run in advance.

Report variants (lists) work there as different view to the table data (agregated, some of columns) and they are that complicated that is not simple for users to use self-service pivot. But there is no need to see all lists at the same time on screen.

So, now I run report on dashboard as one report dadget and everytime I need to change the list, then I change the table of report dadget, it saves parameters from prevoious one, but this way is not user-friendly.
Basicly I want to achive something like this - I need another dadget, in which I can change content of report dadget from predefined reports. Maybe better shows this image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm2wvg7bl2kdk … 6.png?dl=0

Or anything else, but saving parameters values between report variants and quick change between them is target.

Regards,
Petr

#4 2017-03-28 11:13:55

jalbrecht
Administrator

Hi Petr,

did you check:

5.1.2. The Parameter Dadget
The parameter dadget gathers all parameters from all report dadgets that are currently on the dashboard and presents them together. If two reports share a parameter, for example, two reports both allow to set the "year" then this parameter is only displayed once.

Maybe that helps solving your problem, if all reports stem from the same dynamic list ...

wbr jan

#5 2017-03-30 05:40:00

petrvavra

Hi Jan,

of course I use the Parameter Dadget and it does its job well, but it's not the challenge. In the image from #3 I rather use button "Edit report parameters" because space on the screen matters, I guess it does completely the same like the Parameter Dadget.  The challenge is how to quickly change the content of the Report Dadget from predefined list of reports, because changing it via option button and selecting from all reports is really long and user-unfriendly way for daily use.  The best option would be another dadget, which does this job - shows to user predefined list of reports and offers to change report with double-click on the report item or move to the Report Dadget. Is there any way how to make this or anything else close to this?

Regards,
Petr

#6 2017-04-04 17:24:26

jalbrecht
Administrator

Hi petr,

i think i understand your problem a little better now. You

- either need a parameter dadget that spans multiple dashboards (supposingly configurable)
- or a report dadget that supports a report with tabs.

is that correct ?

wbr jan

#7 2017-04-04 17:47:43

petrvavra

Hi Jan,

yes, it is absolutely correct and I personally prefer the second one - report dadget, which supports a report with tabs.

Regards,
Petr

Board footer