#1 2016-04-01 09:39:54

ralex

ReportServer 3.0

Hi,
I just have seen that new software version of reportsever came out.
I just saw the tutorial to upgrade the system and I am also looking at the comparison between free and enterprise edition.
If I didn't get wrong the new version will not support many features who are included in the free reportsever 2.2, such as script datasource,script reporting,database bundle,script parameters and so on....
So my feeling is that upgrading could not worth it.
Is right my point of view?
Where can I find a doc highlighting all of new features of reportserver 3.0 ? Does The output format support the csv for birt report  now?

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited by ralex (2016-04-01 09:55:16)

#2 2016-04-01 14:43:33

Arno Mittelbach
datenwerke

Re: ReportServer 3.0

Hi Alex,

a detailed blog post introducing the main features of ReportServer 3.0 can be found here. The release notes for the new versions are here.

Regrettably, there is currently simply no good CSV exporter for BIRT. Exporting BIRT to CSV is also tricky since generally it simply does not work. CSV expects a single table of data and nothing less. BIRT reports are, however, usually highly formatted and contain much more information than just a table and thus the problem is, what to export? The dynamic list on the other hand is the perfect vehicle for such a report and there is indeed a workaround if all you want is to export a single table from a BIRT report. You can create a Dynamic List which is backed by a BIRT datasource.

As for the difference between the two editions. Yes, we removed some features (foremost the things related to scripting) from the open source version. If your setup relies on these you might want to consider purchasing ReportServer Enterprise Edition (note that there is a limited time offer; see here). The alternative would be to stay on version 2.2 of ReportServer.

Best regards,
Arno

Board footer