#1 2015-01-25 20:25:43

msmith

SOAP data source

Hi,

I have a BIRT report that uses a database but also retrieves some information from a third-party web service.

I'd like both the database and the web service URL to be configured in ReportServer, not hard-coded in the .rptdesign, so we can handle multiple non-production environments - same .rptdesign file, different database and web service data sources.

What's the best way to handle this in ReportServer? It looks like it's expected there'd be only one data source per report. Would it be best to configure the web service URL as a key on the metadata tab?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 2015-01-26 15:56:31

Thorsten J. Krause
datenwerke
Website

Re: SOAP data source

Hi Mike,

you are correct, the birt api only allows us to pass a single datasource to the report, however there are alternatives, that still allow you to manage the datasource configuration in ReportServer: One possibility is to have ReportServer register a datasource with jndi and have your report access it from there.

But in your case as you only want to pass a url I suggest you use a "global contant": These are available as parameters in all you reports.

Cheers,
Thorsten

#3 2015-01-26 19:27:26

msmith

Re: SOAP data source

Thanks Thorsten!

Board footer