#1 2019-05-13 17:29:01

rand_arc

Firebird driver

I followed the procedure in chapter 9 of the scripting documentation, and my report server application still does not have the ability to connect to the Firebird database.
i tried different versions of the JDBC driver and none of them seem to add the driver. The script executes fine when i use the ReportServer terminal.

#2 2019-05-14 08:57:12

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Re: Firebird driver

Hi rand_arc,

I tested with the exact files linked in the tutorial: jaybird-2.2.3.jar and connector-api-1.5.jar
I put both into WEB-INF/lib, put the AddFirebirdSupport.groovy file into the bin/onstartup.d directory and after a restart, the driver is recognized.

If I use the latest file instead:
jaybird-full-jdk18-4.0.0-beta-1.jar
and put it into WEB-INF/lib, it again works.

Can you please test again? If it doesn't work: what happens exactly? What do you see ? Do you get any errors in the tomcat log? Please post some screenshots.

Regards,
Eduardo

#3 2019-05-14 08:58:56

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi rand_arc,

and an important question: are you using community edition or enterprise (evaluation)? If you are using community edition: scripts are disabled here, so the AddFirebirdSupport.groovy file won't get executed.

Regards,
Eduardo

#4 2019-05-14 12:41:59

rand_arc

I tried using the newer version of the JDBC file and im still having troubles. I am using the enterprise edition, and i know the script executes because this appears when the script is ran in the terminal
reportserver$ cd /fileserver/bin/onstartup.d
reportserver$ exec -g AddFirebirdSupport.groovy
DATASOURCE_HELPER_FIREBIRD
reportserver$

i placed the script in the same folder you have and i still am unable to get the driver to appear in my datasources tab

C:\Bitnami\reportserverenterprise-3.0.6-2\apache-tomcat\webapps\reportserver\WEB-INF\lib

This is the file directory i am using to store the files. Could i have done something wrong here?

final question, im not familiar with this forum's format how would i post screenshots?

I appreciate the assistance,
rand_arc

#5 2019-05-14 12:51:03

rand_arc

Eduardo,

i restarted my servers from the reportserver manager window and added the jaybird driver from my DBeaver install and the firebird driver now works in report server.

Since im no expert i dont know whether the hard restart of the servers or the different "jaybird-jdk18-3.0.3.jar" file made the final difference.

Thanks for the help,
rand_arc

#6 2019-05-15 08:33:49

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi rand_arc,

it would be great to hear about your experiences with Firebird together with ReportServer. We are thinking about integrating Firebird in ReportServer, so no script would be necessary to use it. We have ticket RS-3461 for this purpose.

Regards,
Eduardo

#7 2019-05-17 12:24:18

rand_arc

I learned how to use ReportServer with a postgresql database, however we have many different machines where i work. Learning the differences in postgres and firebird taught me a lot about SQL but the Firebird database is more common on older machines so smaller companies with older industrial equipment, looking to integrate their old machines to the internet could make a lot of use out of reportserver with an already hooked up Firebird driver. On the other hand Firebird is dying out in new uses so it may not be worth the trouble of integrating it when it may be on its way out.

Im happy to elaborate further since i feel i will be using reporserver for much of my career.
Thanks for the ticket, where do i take this ticket and consequentially my opinions?

#8 2019-06-03 06:20:01

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi rand_arc,

thanks for the information. We will considerate integrating Firebird directly into reportserver and will let you know when this happens.

The ticket number is an internal ticket number we use for managing our tickets. You can see in the reportserver release notes the tickets finished (together with their ticket number). E.g.: https://reportserver.net/releasenotes/RS3.0.7.html

Regards,
Eduardo

#9 2019-07-04 11:00:58

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi rand_arc,

please note that reportserver already supports firebird out-of-the-box. We will include this note in the documentation (https://reportserver.net/en/guides/scri … a-Sources/). 
So you don't need the AddFirebirdSupport.groovy file.

Regards,
Eduardo

Board footer