#1 2018-06-13 09:31:05

pmace

Scheduled birt report is blocked sometimes in "In execution" state

Hi,

we are using reportserver with a postgreSQL database to generate BIRT template.
Sometimes, a scheduled report template is blocked in a "In execution" state, and required tomcat7 restart to unblock this state, and after this restart the report is generated correctly.
For the same report template, this behaviour happened randomly, the report generation is scheduled to be done daily.

How could we find the root cause for this ? Might it be a lack of memory ressources ?

Thanks for your help.

Br,
Pierre

#2 2018-06-13 09:55:03

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Re: Scheduled birt report is blocked sometimes in "In execution" state

Hi Pierre,

which reportserver version exactly do you use? (rsversion.properties)

Can you check if you have any exceptions in your tomcat logs at the time of this problem ?

Regards,
Eduardo

#3 2018-06-13 10:11:10

pmace

Hi Eduardo,

thanks for your reply.
We are using version RS3.0.2-5855 of reportserver.

About logs, would it be in catalina.out log file that i should look for exceptions ?

Br,
Pierre

#4 2018-06-13 10:52:56

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi Pierre,

it depends on your configuration. Generally, yes, catalina.out, but check your other logs as well. If you know more or less the time when the report was blocked, you can find the error in the logs if it exists.

Maybe, as you said, you have a memory issue. We corrected a memory leak in 3.0.3 ( https://reportserver.net/releasenotes/RS3.0.3.html  RS-2619). To make sure you have this issue, you should find the error stack in the logs.
Anyhow, we would recommend to upgrade to 3.0.3, as we corrected many bugs/issues, as you can see in the release notes. The upgrade is very easy: https://reportserver.net/en/tutorials/upgrade-303/
In most of the cases you only have to replace the binaries.

Regards,
Eduardo

#5 2018-06-13 11:33:40

pmace

Eduardo,

thanks again, we will consider the upgrade of reportServer then.
Additionnaly, here is an error which is currently reported in catalina.out file :
09:05:11.911 ERROR o.h.e.jdbc.spi.SqlExceptionHelper - ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint "rs_audit_log_property_pkey"
  Detail: Key (entity_id)=(1137073) already exists.
09:05:11.926 WARN  n.d.r.u.e.jpa.JpaEventLoggerDaemon - Error while committing the transaction
javax.persistence.RollbackException: Error while committing the transaction

Is it something we should worry about ? I'm not understanding the meaning of such error, do you have an idea.
Also, there is 3-4 reports scheduled at the same time, could it cause the encountered behavior ?

#6 2018-06-20 09:39:43

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi pmace,

I am not seeing this error. Please upgrade to 3.0.3 and test again.
The error says that the entity_id 1137073 is being created even though it already exists, i.e. a duplicate would occur with the creation of the id. The table rs_audit_log contains the audit logs as the name suggests.

Maybe the fact that you have 3-4 reports scheduled at the same time influences this. I raised ticket RS-2942 to investigate this.

I think it is not something to worry about. It should only affect the rs_audit_log table. Nevertheless, it is necessary to investigate.

Regards,
Eduardo

Board footer