#1 2015-12-29 17:10:29

ethanj

Installing, Developing, and Deploying under Eclipse

I'm sorry if this is redundant to other posts regarding this but I seem to be very lost on this. Simply put, I would like to create a project in eclipse for ReportServer, edit and configure some extra features, and be able to deploy it to the Tomcat I have running in eclipse to test and debug. I can't find a way to do this as other topics regarding this say to import all the projects, and I cannot find a way to deploy it to Tomcat within eclipse. Also, I would love a way to export it as a war file when I am done, as I do with other web apps. This is a fantastic product and I would love any help someone could provide. Thank you!

#2 2016-01-05 16:23:02

Arno Mittelbach
datenwerke

Re: Installing, Developing, and Deploying under Eclipse

Hi Ethan,

sorry for the late feedback.

We currently have no developer guide ready for ReportServer, so I cannot help you much there (sorry again). A few points though. ReportServer is built on top of GWT which for development uses Jetty. Thus, there will probably be no easy solution to get ReportServer set up in eclipse, such that you can from there easily deploy it to Tomcat. What you would usually do is develop your GWT application. Run the GWT compiler. Package everything in a war file and deploy the result. As for ReportServer a compilation can take several 10s of minutes, so if you want to dig into the source code you should really get familiar with GWT first.

Hope this helps at least a bit.

Best
-Arno

#3 2016-02-08 21:49:34

ethanj

Thanks for the response. Hopefully you all come up with a developers guide soon so my company can start developing custom features and hopefully sign up for your enterprise support at one point. Everything is coming along great and I hope that Report Server 3.0 will allow easier eclipse integration. Thanks again!

#4 2016-02-29 12:46:15

tomharney

Arno, I thought some time ago you (or possibly Thorsten) mentioned a Developer guide was in the works.  Has the guide been abandoned?

#5 2016-03-06 13:39:29

Arno Mittelbach
datenwerke

Hi Tom,

we are not working on a developer guide at the moment. With the new version, setting up RS in Eclipse should however become easier and I hope that I can write a small tutorial when it comes out.

Best,
Arno

#6 2016-04-01 15:08:41

ethanj

The new version looks fantastic! Has there been any time to release the eclipse tutorial?

Thanks!

#7 2016-04-01 15:17:23

Arno Mittelbach
datenwerke

Hi Ethan,

thanks big_smile, glad that you like it.

The eclipse tutorial is in progress and almost done. Have a look at our blog during the next week(s) for news on this.

Cheers,
Arno

#8 2016-04-07 16:08:37

Arno Mittelbach
datenwerke

Hi Ethan,

we've just added the tutorial: Setting up Development with ReportServer 3.0.

Happy Coding,
Arno

Board footer