#1 2017-11-24 18:32:58

shahidkapoor

Internal datasources

Hello, I am in the initial phases of using the reportserver, was able to configure datasource. But can someone help me clarify the below mentioned in the datasources documentation

Admin guide -> Chapter 2 -> Section 2.3 - https://reportserver.net/en/guides/admi … ata-source

"Below the Root folder, the folder "internal data sources" should already be located. Beside the existing folder, create another one: Right click on "Data source Root" -> Insert -> Folder. Now, select the newly created folder "unnamed". In the right part of the window you can edit the properties of the currently selected object. Rename the folder to "Demo data" and click on the Apply button."

In the admin section, what is the reason to create another folder besides the existing "internal datasources -> ReportServer Data source". Does this existing instance have any significance that the ReportServer is meant to store anything on this instance? And Is it a must to create a new folder and create my project datasource in that or it is ok to use the "ReportServer Data source" instance.

Also, if I create a new instance of datasource under a new folder, how can I point the ReportServer to that new datasource folder? Is there a configuration setting for that?

What are the best practices to configure data sources?

Last edited by shahidkapoor (2017-11-24 18:58:38)

#2 2017-11-27 07:48:54

jalbrecht
Administrator

Re: Internal datasources

Hi Shihidkapoor,

in theory there is no need for any folder in the data-source tree and you can store everything on root level. Thus said it has been an established best practice to separate objects depending on their  category or meaning. Therefore it makes sense to create a separate folder for the internal data-source, i. e. the data-source reportserver uses to store its (meta)data, and all other data-sources you need to access the data to report on.
This distinction is artificial: Of course you will access the metadata repository with reports reg. Report Execution frequency or User behavior as well, but it helps administering (for example access rights on data-sources).
ReportServer can have as many data-sources as you define. The data-source a reports uses to access its data during execution is defined in the report itself. I just want to briefly mention the concept of a data-source bundle: You can have a single report accessing many data-sources depending on the credentials or the selection of the user.

Happy reporting
jan

#3 2017-11-27 21:42:05

shahidkapoor

Ok I guess I understood. So to make sure if I get this correct, the 'internal data sources' -> 'ReportServer Data Source' could be the place where report server stores its meta data information. And it will be a good practice to create application data source in a separate folder and build reports off of this application data-source. This way the report server meta information and application data are separated.

#4 2017-11-28 07:58:11

eduardo
Administrator
Website

Hi shahidkapoor,

yes, it is a good practice to create a different folder with your application datasources. These will be in most of the cases different that your internal datasource. The internal data source points to the database where reportserver is installed. In most of the cases, your reportserver will create reports on other datasources. So the meta information is in most of the cases separated from the data your are reporting on.

Regards,
Eduardo

#5 2017-11-28 14:57:15

shahidkapoor

Thanks for confirming!

Board footer