#1 2018-01-03 15:17:58

jeffrozica

How to add/change Java options for reportserver apache-tomcat

I would like to add/change java options (parameters) fore reportserver tomcat.  I tried changing the setenv.bat and the catlina.bat (added CATALINA_OPTS= parm) and neither works.  I.e. I want to add -Xms512M -Xmx4096M -XX:MaxPermSize=512M. Can anyone help me? I am on the latest v3.0.3.6002 ReportServer version.

#2 2018-01-03 16:34:07

jalbrecht
Administrator

Re: How to add/change Java options for reportserver apache-tomcat

Hi jeffrozica,
assuming that you used a bitnami installer you might find some insight here:

1. To run Reportserver in a productive environment we strongly recommend to install Reportserver manually without bitnami installer. Its not difficult or comlicated. You just need to follow the steps outlined here:
https://reportserver.net/de/documentation/
check installation on windows or ubuntu.

2. If you want to change the memory parms for an existing bitnami installation follow the steps outlined here:
https://docs.bitnami.com/installer/components/tomcat/ go to:

How To Change The Java Memory Settings?
The Java Virtual Machine (JVM) determines the default settings for your Java application:

JAVA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx512m"

The Tomcat server uses CATALINA_OPTS to set these Java settings when running:

CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms256M -Xmx768M"

You can increase these settings if necessary by following the steps below:

Linux And Mac OS X

Modify the settings file installdir/apache-tomcat/bin/setenv.sh:

export CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -Xms256M -Xmx768M"

NOTE: You could also modify the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) settings if you prefer.

export JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms256M -Xmx768M"

Restart Tomcat after modifying the file:

installdir/ctlscript.sh restart tomcat

Windows

Modify the settings file installdir/apache-tomcat/bin/setenv.bat:

export CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -Xms256M -Xmx768M"

NOTE: You could also modify the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) settings if you prefer.

export JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms256M -Xmx768M"

Reinstall the services after modifying the file, as shown below. Run the following commands from an elevated command prompt:

cd installdir
    serviceinstall.bat UNINSTALL
    serviceinstall.bat INSTALL

hope this helps

wbr jan

#3 2018-01-03 21:38:54

jeffrozica

Re: How to add/change Java options for reportserver apache-tomcat

Thanks for the help.  This post helped, but I figured out what the root problem was.  The syntax you mentioned here and what's posted online is not correct or does not work. What I was doing originally was correct, but the reason the changes did not take effect is because I was not uninstalling and installing the services as you mention you must do after making the changes.  Here are the changes you must make in the setenv.bat, to add java options to a Bitnami WINDOWS installation.  You must use the ++JvmOptions= syntax.  See below.

set JAVA_OPTS=++JvmOptions="-Drs.configdir=D:\Birt\Bitnami\reportserverenterprise-3.0.3-0/apps/reportserver/reportserver-conf" ++JvmOptions="-Dfile.encoding=UTF8" ++JvmOptions="-XX:MaxPermSize=512M" --JvmMs 2048 --JvmMx 12288

Board footer